Monday, April 18, 2011

(Re)Write--A new take on a tradition

It was a very long day of baking, cooking, drinking champagne, and watching Disney movies...I'm sure you're feeling sooooo bad for me. It was so much fun and I'm not complaining one bit! After I took a nap and Robbie returned from playing tennis, he was hungry AGAIN and I was ready to cook AGAIN. I bought a ton of sage and mushrooms at the market so I decided to make some sort of stroganoff. Since I don't eat meat, I never get to have this wonderful thing at family potlucks! I didn't have the classic egg noodles, but I'll definitely get those next time! Here's my take on the church basement classic!!

  
Mushroom Sage Stroganoff
4 servings

*Ingredients*
2 shallots
2 cloves of garlic
about 10 fresh sage leaves, chopped
1 package baby portobello mushrooms
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup white wine (I used chardonnay)
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
whole wheat spaghetti (or egg noodles if you have'm)


*Saute shallots, garlic, and mushrooms in a couple tablespoons of olive oil until mushrooms begin to soften.
*Add the wine and let it cook down (about 5 mins)
*Add 1 cup of the cream and sage, let it simmer until it thickens (about 15-20 mins) 
*Add remaining cream as needed or to desired thickness.
*Add parmesan cheese and stir in until melted.
*Serve over your choice of noodles!

Mushroom Sage Stroganoff (sorry the picture is dark!)


And if you are indeed bringing this dish to a church basement (especially if you're in Minnesota) make sure you learn this Norwegian table prayer...




Have a wonderful Monday!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment